Believe that the greatest fear of every parent is to be found in a situation where their child is choking, and they do not know how to provide help at that critical moment.
It can often happen for the baby to grab an object located nearby (coin, walnuts, peanuts, seeds) and put it in his mouth. These objects are dangerous for the baby because they can cause choking. What can you do if you find yourself in such a situation? Learn simple steps that can save your baby from choking.
Step one: Assess the situation
– If the baby emits strange sounds such as wheezing, breathlessness or cough when he opens his mouth, its breathing may be hard due to the presence of a foreign object.
– If the baby keeps quiet while with his mouth open and his face becomes red or purple, it means that breathing is blocked and you must immediately help him start breathing normally.
– If the baby is crying loudly and cough heavily, it can discard the object by means of coughing, but if the coughing is very weak and seems like it is choking, you should help him to throw out the object.
Step two: Try eliminating the object from the airways
Hitting on the back
– Place your forearm on the thigh, but with the palm up while in a sitting position,.
– Place the baby’s body on your forearm so that the stomach will be leaning on your arm, and the hand will hold the baby’s jaw. The baby’s head should be lower than the body.
– Hit the baby’s back 5 times, do not be scared of using little bit more strength while doing so.